I'm a married, first time home buyer. I have a signed

I'm a married, first...

I'm a married, first time home buyer. I have a signed contract. I've locked in a rate with my lender. I just haven't closed yet. I have some concerns about my wife and our future. She's an alcoholic with no interest in reforming. She's stolen my credit cards and made charges. She refused

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

...to reform. Long story short, I'm curious about putting the house in someone else's name, like my mothers. Or, is there a better alternative to keeping the house for myself if I decide to leave her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I've had one meeting with a family lawyer months ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I almost called the police for an incident that left me with deep scratches in my arm that drew blood, which I have pictures of.

3/9/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help today - the answer to your question is to put the home only in your mother's or father's name and not have your wife on the mortgage paperwork. This will shield your home and investment from the courts if you decide to divorce your wife in the future. Just make sure that the mortgage payments are coming out of a separate bank account than your joint account if you have one.

I hope this answered your question and has given you the next steps in your buying process - can you please rate me with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
This is what my escrow officer is saying. "Where KY is a spousal state she will have to sign the mortgage but she will not be on the Deed or Note. The lender just needs her name that matches her driver's license to put on the mortgage."

If your mortgage officer is saying that, then thats how to proceed with the purchase - just can't have her on the deed. That is the most important part.