I lent my car to a friend and they returned the car with…

I lent my car...

I lent my car to a friend and they returned the car with over $2,000 worth of paint damage, what legal options do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I've presented the estimate to so-called friend and they told me I have to take them to court to see any money from them MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I received the car back on Wednesday morning

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure, I don't even know if this a small claims case or not

3/9/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Nice friend! Since your friend is not going to pay you for damages for which your friend is liable, do specifically what your friend told you you to do...i.e., file your suit. You can do this in small claims court without a lawyer. Here's a link to help guide you with the necessary forms: http://www.mncourts.gov/GetForms.aspx?c=10

Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if he doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about his assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property he owns to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney
Thank you for your help!

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!