I am in a partnership with 4 other people. I have 25% of the…

Customer Question
I am in a...

I am in a partnership with 4 other people. I have 25% of the company. I wrote all of the software code for the company, and I want to leave. Can I take the code I wrote and use it for my future pursuits? Just FYI, we don't have any kind of formal agreement in place that says who owns what, as applied to the IP of the company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is this about an invention, a design, or an artistic work?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know whether i can use the code i wrote on future projects if I leave the company (of which I am a partner).

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

ok thanks

If there is nothing in writing then you can make the argument that it's your intellectual property rather than the intellectual property of the business.

Ok cool. So there's no presumptive effect that it belongs to the company just because I am a member of it, and they've been using it?

It can be presumed that if you're developing it for the company it would be the property of the company - but the fact that there is literally nothing in writing makes it very hard for them to enforce that - since you can just as easily argue that you believed you were developing something that you can use over and over. It's almost impossible to prove you didn't intend to do something for your own benefit.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?