My daughter was admitted to the hospital and a neighbor that…

Customer Question
My daughter was admitted...

My daughter was admitted to the hospital and a neighbor that worked at the hospital where my daughter was admitted came to my daughters room and asked personal questions pertaining to my daughter, which she wasn't assigned to work with my daughter neither was she assigned to work in the ICU unit.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

N.Y

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Second situation was my breastmilk was taken without my permission when i wasn't in sight and they tried testing my breastmilk for drugs without my permission.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2018
Lawyer: DanLegal, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - what was the nature of your daughter's hospitalization? What is your neighbor's official capacity at the hospital?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She had a seizure then when I got to the hospital they stated to me she had tested postive for cocaine being in her system which I had no knowledge of because I've never used drugs nor was anyone drugs around my daughter.

How old is your daughter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
11 months at the time

Okay thank you for the information - Would you like to discuss this on the phone? I see that you have selected that option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Okay - what is your neighbor's job at the hospital?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she's a nurse

But not in the ICU you said correct?

okay - the answer to your first question is that your neighbor going to your daughters room can be seen as a violation of HIPAA regulations and she was not allowed to be in your daughter's room and she should not be allowed to know the answers to any sensitive information as she is your neighbor. You can have a civil law suit against the hospital for violating privacy rights and HIPAA.

The answer to your second question is that if your daughter of 11 months tested positive for cocaine, the hospital can test your milk to see if it is you who is making your daughter test positive. From what you have told me it is a false positive test, which does happen from time to time. A hospital is a mandatory reporting body to child protective services, so they must follow up on that positive test.

I hope I have answered your questions

DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer