My son has a bad drug issue, we live in VA but right now he…

Customer Question
My son has a...

My son has a bad drug issue, we live in VA but right now he is treatment in Fl. Once treatment is over he wants to stay in FL, which is good. He is on probation in Fairfax County and they told me they won't transfer his probation to FL and he has to come back. They said VA does not transfer misdemeanor, is this correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Charges were all in VA, he has multiple charges in Fairfax, petit larc, grand larceny, sell/buy credit card, enter/set car in motion all misdemeanor, and in with county(southern VA) a grand larceny auto, which was a felony. But with is ok with the transfer Fairfax is not

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The Interstate Compact regulates the transfer of parolees and probationers throughout the US. Unfortunately, however, the Compact can only be used for transfers of felony probation. So you've been informed accurately.

That said, however, It's also possible for his lawyer in Virginia to resentence him on the misdemeanors to something that will allow him to remain in Florida, perhaps in conjunction with an outpatient treatment program once he finishes his current treatment. It's worth trying, since he would appear to have a stable support system in Florida.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney