I signed a 1 yr lease Nov. 1, 2017 in Beach N.Y. When I

Customer Question
I signed a 1...

I signed a 1 yr lease Nov. 1, 2017 in Long Beach N.Y. When I moved in I noticed a water bug, and they began increasing dramatically. I let mgmt know of the problem many times to no avail. I stayed a total of 7 nights and vacated the premises. I pd Dec rent with my security deosit along with a late fee. On March 2 I rec'd a bill for Jan rent, late fee and cleaning charges. I feel the apt was uninhabitable because of all the bugs and feel I owe the landlord nothing. Do I have to pay the bill?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
This is my son's apt and I went with him when he signed the lease. I remember the realtor saying we may see a water bug, and if we see alot let mgmt know and they will take care of it. It seems like they knew there was a problem!
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I think you are correct in your statement that this appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability because water bugs are not normally considered to make the place habitable. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement. So, if you were forced to move out because of the bugs, you were allowed to cancel the lease agreement without being charged any additional rent.

You may want to consider just writing a drafting a notice to the landlord detailing the problems and that you are not liable for Jan's rent. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

How else can I help today?