I was arrested and I am out on bond. I was checking out a…

Customer Question
I was arrested and...

I was arrested and I am out on bond. I was checking out a car to buy and drove it to a cousin for his expert advice. I looked good enough so I decided I would buy it. I took it home and cleaned it up. It had not been driven in a couple years. I had not paid for it yet but was cleaning it up at home and found a handful of needles in the car. I threw them in the trash. My dad told me make sure there are no more in the car. I said I planned to. My girlfriend

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Needed to go to the doctor and asked me to take her. This was her car but I would be buying it from her father. On my way home a police officer stopped me and asked me to let him search the car. I told him the car was not mine and I had no idea what might be in the car. He said "If you are honest with me, I'll be honest with you so I said okay. He found three needles I missed in the headliner so he arrested me. He said he was not arresting me for the needles but because I had prior drug charges and they towed the car away. I called my dad and told him what had happened. My dad said he would call my pregnant girlfriend. He did and she told him that the needles were her ex-boyfriend from a year ago and she would go to court with me and explain this. The day prior my girlfriend got back with Her ex-boyfriend called me and threatened me. I go to court next Wednesday and still don't have an attorney because of money. are there organizations in Houston that can help me? If I don't find one, do I have enough information to convince a jury myself or is it a real bad idea to defend myself in court in Houston? This is in Houston and the car is a 2003 buick. The value is about $500-600.00

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean. We have not filed anything or reported anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just got a job and I have not done any drugs in a long time. I am bi-polar and take no medication

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed.

what are my options?
i don't have $59 for a phone call

I'm not understanding... you were checking out a car at the dealership and it had needles in it at the dealership?

your answer is in my orig. questions. My girlfriend needed to go to the doctor and asked me to take her. This was her car but I would be buying it from her father.

My personal opinion? It's certainly not a *great* idea to represent oneself in a legal proceeding if you're not an attorney - and even if you are...

Legal Aid generally can offer assistance in criminal cases. The issue is you allowed the car to be searched and so now they have this evidence.

I know but what about having the needles tested. after two years can they get DNA or maybe the needles where unused and there is no evidence. They have to be clear of any liquids. How do we find the answers to these two possibilities?

The needles would be in evidence (they're going to be kept) and you can file a motion to have them tested.