I have a question about recording people in public and

Customer Question
talking to them while doing...
I have a question about recording people in public and talking to them while doing it.
I live in Washington state.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is your specific legal question?

I live in Washington state.

Go ahead and ask your question.

Thats my question.
What is the legality of recording in public and having a conversation with people?
Is there reasonable expectation of privacy?

Thank you for the clarification.

Washington's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Washington makes it a crime to intercept or record a private telephone call, in-person conversation, or electronic communication unless all parties to the communication consent. See Wash. Rev. Code § 9.73.030(1).

The reasonable expectation of privacy does not really come into play because there is a specific statute making it illegal without the consent of all parties.

What about YouTube videos that are pranks how come those YouTubers don't get in trouble?
Even though they recorded without people's consent?

If they do not have consent, they could could get in trouble (in WA State) if someone pressed charges.

Are you still online with me?

Does law enforcement file charges or the intending victim?

The victim would need to file a complaint, since the police would not know on their own that no consent was given by the party for the recording.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.