I have been scamed, I have some info. about the scammers, Do…

Customer Question
I have been scamed...

I have been scamed, I have some info. about the scammers, Do I need to persue

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I feel like a FOOL.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please explain the nature of the scam and what you are thinking about persuing.

I have sent money to several "people" they were supposidly "agents". I was supposed to have won a "lot" of money, but they keep telling me they need more for the IRS. I have sent approx. $15000. part of which was taken out of my credit card.
no
My credit card has a "cap" of $10000, some how the credit card company has allowed the balance to go to $17000. How can they do that or can they?

I'm not ignoring you. I'm typing your answer and should be finished soon.

Okay

I'm very sorry to hear that you fell for a contest scam. The fact is that when you are a real winner, you never have to pay anything at all to get your money, because it is already yours. Any real contest will take any transfer fees out of the money they have and give you the rest.

You don't pay taxes on money you don't have. You pay taxes on actual income.

You can contact your credit card carrier and see if they will offer any assistance. Unfortunately, you voluntarily sent off money to the scammers and normally they wouldn't be liable for your losses. Here, however, they actually caused more of a problem for you because they increased your credit line without notifying you. If your credit card carrier won't negotiate with you, you might want to involve a civil lawyer and see whether he can get you something back.

Other than that, this is a job for law enforcement. You need to report the crime to your police and to the FBI at www.IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov If they can find who and where the thieves really are, you can recover your funds. If not, you will have established yourself as a victim of a crime -- which you are. As such, you can write off your $15,000 loss when you file your taxes for 2018. Crime victims can deduct their unreimbursed losses, which will at least give you something back, even if nobody finds the scammers.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.