My question is, can an attorney ask a client who is a

Hello Pearl, My...

Hello Pearl, My question is, can an attorney ask a client who is a psychologist questions of a personal nature in regards ***** ***** own family members while in a paid counseling session with the client?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The case has been settled with results that would have occurred without legal representation and now a vague generalized "itemized" bill has been sent for which a good bit of the time charged for was spent discussing the attorney's nephew's issues.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The care involved child custody on behalf of the father who had full custody of the children for several years due to the mother's personal issues. She returned and took the father to court. Once the decision was made to give the mother joint custody, the mother moved to Seattle and no longer fulfills her part of the legal assignment.

3/9/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

An attorney is paid for legal services rendered either on an hourly, flat fee or contingency basis. If on an hourly basis the conversation has nothing to do with the legal services being provided, then that time would not be considered legal services rendered and could result in challenging the bill regarding time spent not discussing the issue at hand.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Is there a document or list of codes that I may reference when presenting the challenge to the attorney?

There is a whole mediation or arbitration process for fee disputes that can be used if both parties agree to use it. I will provide you the link (below) that includes other links to the rules and procedure.

Separately, if you had a retainer agreement, it may outline the process if you have a fee dispute. The retainer agreement is a contract for services wherein someone provides services for a fee. If someone is charging for services that were not rendered, then there could be a fee dispute.

Here is a link to the process for mediation or arbitration.

https://www.msbar.org/ethics-discipline/fee-disputes/

Note, generally, attorneys are amenable to reducing fees if a client requests a fee reduction based on reason and a logical argument. If you have not tried to work this out with the attorney, that would be your first step. Lastly, sometimes if a client is sued for fees, the client counterclaims with a malpractice lawsuit. Most attorneys want to avoid that situation.

f you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney