I live in MA, and was divorced 9 years ago. I never got

I live in MA...

I live in MA, and was divorced 9 years ago. I never got around to changing my name on my license, social security card, or passport, but my divorce decree stipulates that I wish to return to my maiden name. Can I use my divorce decree as my legal name change document? or do I have to go through a formal name change?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As far as what?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

If you requested a name change back to your maiden name during your divorce, then there should have been a name change petition included in your paperwork that the judge would have signed off on.

You can take that document in to the Social Security office to have your name changed on your SS card.

You can then take the SS card and court order to the DMV to have your name changed on your license.

If for some reason this document was not inlcuded in your divorce proceedings, then unfortunatel yes, you will need to go into your local courthouse and fill out a name change petition, and have the judge sign off on it, in order to have your name changed back to your maiden name on your other documents.

The Clerk's Office at the courthouse should have the forms for requesting the name change, and the clerks can help you with getting that request filed with the court.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the final decree from the judge indicating that we are to return to our original names, so this would be acceptable to take to the social security office?

Yes that's correct. That order from the judge should be sufficient.

You can take that into the Social Security office for a name change.

Be sure to check on their website, or call in to your local office, to inquire about all the documents or other forms of ID they'll need as well.

(This can save you multiple trips to the SSA).

Hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones