How do I put a lien on a car that a person hasn't made any…

How do I put...

How do I put a lien on a car that a person hasn't made any payments on?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Wisconsin, 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/9/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have a written loan agreement with the owner of the car? Did they pledge the car as collateral in writing?

Are there any other prior liens on the car title which have not been released?

no

Thank you for the additional information. There is no summary right to place a lien on the borrower's car without their consent.

You would need to sue them and obtain a judgment. Then you could levy and attach the equity in their car, or any other personal or real property.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Thank You

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney