This may sound odd but it's true. My son in law hit a cow…

Customer Question
This may sound odd...

This may sound odd but it's true. My son in law hit a cow and isn't is true that the owner of the cow would be responsible for the repairs on his vehicle. It is currently undrivable.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Georgia and it's 1996 chevy S10

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Police report was filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My daughter called the owner of the cow and hasn't heard anything from him.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

Potentially, yes.

The owner could be responsible if he was negligent in managing the cow.

Where did the accident occur? Was the fence or other enclosure not maintained properly, allowing the cows to escape on to the road?

If the answers to these questions are yes, then the owner very well may be liable to cover the cost of damages to your son's vehicle.

It also depends on your son's negligence as well. Was he paying attention to the road ahead of him? Was he contributory to the cause of this accident in any way?

If so, then he can be found partially responsible for this incident, and therefore partially liable for the cost of repairs.

If your son would like to find a civil attorney to initiate a lawsuit for damages, he can contact the Georgia State Bar for a referral to a lawyer in his area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!