The court judgement was issued June 1988 and they are

Hello! the court judgement...

Hello! the court judgement was issued June 1988 and they are garnishing my wage right now. Isn't this past the statute of limitation already?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm from California and they tried to garnish my wage already before but the Sheriff's Department returned the amount to me after a month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It was from an eviction before In LA but I never received anything to fight it off so the landlord won. As for the garnishment, my employer received the paper works with the date of the judgement from June 1988

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if this judgement is effective since it's been 20 years

3/9/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The statute of limitations only applies to how long a person has to file the case in court initially. Once a judgment is obtained, it's good for 10 years. Cal. Code Civ. P, Section 683.020. However, a judgment can be renewed for another 10 years if it's not paid. Section 683.120. There is no limit on the number of times a judgment can be renewed.

To do that, they would have needed to file an application in the same court that originally heard the case. You may want to call and ask if they show a renewal on the docket, and if so, when. If they didn't renew the judgment within the past 10 years, they cannot collect now. Once they allow the judgment to expire, it cannot be renewed.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Thank you so much! This help a lot! The last time they tried to garnish my pay, I didn't do anything and the Sheriff just reimbursed me back the money taken. I will ask my employer if they did received a renewal. Thank you so much again.