Re: a Florida Homeowners Association Our documents under…

Re: a Florida Homeowners Association Our...
Re: a Florida Homeowners Association
Our documents under Article VIII Officers
Section 1. The Officers shall be a President, a Vice president, a Secretary and a Treasurer. The President and the Vice President shall be members of the Board of Directors.Does the above clause leave open, non Board members to hold positions of secretary and treasurer? Can members of the Homeowner's association or non members hold the position of secretary and treasurer
Our docs date back to 1979.
Does Florida Statute 720 override non board members, including members of the HOA or non members of the HOA, when it comes to filling the position ofsecretary and treasurer of the Board?
Priority of answers requested May non Board members, but members of the HOA, be voted on by the Board of Directors to fill the positions of secretary and treasurer?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
the statute only required the bylaws describe the required officers and a manner of selection. If the bylaws do not require the secretary and treasurer be members of the board then the board should be able to select a qualified member to serve in that capacity.
The board may want to form a committee to update the bylaws and clarify the process in more detail, since it is a bit vague and subject to interpretation.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
What does this mean "then the board should be able to select a qualified member to serve in that capacity"
Does that mean that the Board can choose any member of the Homeowner's assocation to be the secretary and treasurer?
that is what it means. By specifying that only the president and vp be board members, the bylaws leave that selection of the other officers up to the board.
Does the selection by the Board for secretary and treasurer
1- have to be a member of the HOA
2a- or can they be someone outside the HOA
2b- or even a paid individual for the position of secretary or treasurer
1. Yes, they need to be a member to be an officer or director.
2a No, they would need to be a member.
2b. No, the statute prohibits an officer or director receiving compensation.

Are you still online with me?

Loren, Attorney

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.