We live in a rental home its been aoout 4 years now living…

We live in a...

We live in a rental home its been aoout 4 years now living here, my landlord just sent me a text saying we are disturbing the neighbors, when I asked how she said we were being to loud one night and wont renew our lease. the next day I get a text with someone had recorded us and put false accuastions about our dog that wasn't even outside. do I have any legal rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

With the cops no

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well she sent me a text like 2 hours later that she would renew my lease but had to raise it 50.00 and I would be on probation for 2 months I cant believe that someone can do this

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

okay thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately yes, this is something your landlord can do.

Lease renewals are not guaranteed, and they are soleley at the discretion of the owner/ landlord.

That means that if your landlord wants to do the renewal on a trial basis for the first 2 months, she can.

Of course you can always choose to opt out and not renew your lease there, thereby avoiding the 2 month probationary period altogehter.

However if you do want to remain at this home, unfortunately yes, this is something that your landlord can do, and a $50 yearly rent increase is fairly standard.

With regards ***** ***** video and false information being shared about you, you may also have grounds for a defamation lawsuit against your neighbor.

You can contact a civil lawyer if you'd like to explore that option further.

The Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service can refer you to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(800)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones