My brother coerced me into paying him for half the home

My brother coerced me...

My brother coerced me into paying him for half the home which we co-own. I had no available money to pay hin so I took out a loan for 66,000 and have to payback 166,000. How can I recover the money that my brother cost me over his foolish actions? This debt has destroyed me!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
You can demand he reimburse you. A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!You can demand he sell the house and pay from the sale proceeds.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
At. work. Can I call you later?

Not set up for a call. I replied in chat. If you have a follow up, reply and ask me.

If my chat reply above is acceptable, please reply "yes"

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Can't afford call right now and thank you for your info.I will call you when I've figured things out. Thank you again!
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney