How specific are the laws in WA (USA) re: bartenders asking…

How specific are the laws...
How specific are the laws in WA (USA) re: bartenders asking patrons to leave? Do they have to follow certain protocol or
is that not specified in the law? Hypothetically, for example, one bartender tells clients in advance "one drink" or I know
you, always a pleasure to pour for you, as their policy, another if uncomfortable asks them to leave and calls for backup
on the way before asking patron to leave, they do not say they are uncomfortable serving them but ask them to leave. Do
they have to let the person decide, the patron by saying they can not serve them (in the proper circumstances)? Before
asking them to leave? What is, looking for an explanation of what the situation is, perhaps an example covering the options
of what could happen here. I understand if someone is running around drunk they would take steps, but if merely
uncomfortable, how specific is the law regulating this, is there anything specific when they just want them to leave? Do
they have to give them a chance to leave or can they call security or police at any time? Is it their judgement?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If asked to leave and not barred from reentry at a later time by words, should the patron who left assume they can not go
back? What is the best course of action to take after that happens? I know of trespassing warnings, etc., but if they do
not specify, and forgot or something, is it implied they can not go back? Should the patron call the establishment? What
if there are no notes/documentation?
3/9/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
In Washington the law regarding service of alcohol to drunk persons is found at RCW 66.44.200, WAC 314.16.150.The state guideline and laws are as follows:Alcohol may not be sold to an individual that is intoxicated;
An individual that is obviously intoxicated may not possess alcohol, open or unopened;
All alcohol must be removed from an overly intoxicated individual and further service of alcohol must be refused;
An intoxicated customer may remain at your business as long as they do not possess alcohol, this allows time for them to sober up and prevent situations like DUI (driving under the influence.
The law requires that if a bartender sees a person with two or more signs of intoxication, consider the person “apparently under the influence” and refuse sale.
Under the law an intoxicated person can remain on the premises, as long as they are not allowed to consume, purchase and possess alcohol or are disorderly. WAC 314-16-150, WAC 314-11-015; RCW 66.44.200, WAC 314.16.150.So, it is in the establishments discretion to allow them back into the bar to retrieve items, etc.Here is a link to a Washington State Alcohol Servers Training Gide which may help clarify any additional questions.https://www.servsafe.com/Documents-(1)/ServSafe-Alcohol/SSA-Trainer-Workbook-August-2014.aspx
Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if the bartender says they are not comfortable serving the person and asks them to leave?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there other circumstances covering a bar waiter or tender (by laws) asking a patron to leave? They can do this for
any reason? The fact it is a bar, does this mean they need signs to remove or ask a customer to be removed?
No specific law to ask them to leave, only to nrefuse sale, and not serve them further.As a business establishment there is always a right to ask a person to leave. No signs are required under the law.That aspect is not covered by the law. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer