Just signed a year lease with apartment complex. They did…

Just signed a year...

Just signed a year lease with apartment complex. They did not disclose to me that the entire year they will be doing massive construction inside and out of my apartment. Tearing down the balcony and workers in supervised inside my home Monday threw Friday 8am to 8pm. I work at home sometimes too which is a major issue. I want to sue for the years worth of rent

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Carlsbad ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Some residents are doing independent legal suits and yes several emails and photos I collected of reports

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Complex just had class action suit a few months ago for something else ok thank you

what kind of lawyer do I need and is small claims court a option for me and what would I need to file
3/9/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - nothing about the renovation was discussed prior to the lease and you never agreed correct?

that is correct

Here is the answer to your question - You can sue the apartment complex in small claims court. You will need a civil attorney for that if you think you need the help, but you should be more than capable of handling this as you have photographs and a copy of the lease agreement. Unfortunately you will not be able to sue for the entire year of rent, but you would be able to sue for the months of rent you have paid while this has been going on. Or if it has been weeks, you can have your rent prorated to reflect the time. You would also be able to recover any pay from missed work as you work from home and that would be impossible on a construction site. If you went the lawyer route, you can also recover attorney's fees. Finally, if you would like, you could legally get out of the lease agreement and recover all monies given to the complex.

I believe that answers your question and gives you all the routes you could take in dealing with this awful situation. Im very sorry to hear what you are going through

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

I wish you all the best!