I just realized my court date is scheduled for tomorrow but…

I just realized my...

I just realized my court date is scheduled for tomorrow but i am out of state and will not be back to make it tomorrow.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

And its charges against me

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is this in regards ***** ***** criminal case?

But i signed a deal with the prosecutor and if i complete it, all charges will be dropped. But this would be my first appearance just to go and plead not guilty
I just need to reschedule this appearance and i need the best advice

Is this your first court appearance in relation to this case?

it is

Do you have an attorney that will be in court on your behalf tomorrow?

No

Okay thanks for the additional information.

The problem here is that it's a bit too late to ask for a continuance for your court date, that usually needs to be filed much in advance and approved by the judge. Additionally your first court date is referred to as arraignment, and that's usually something that you cannot ask for a continuance for.

The problem is that if you are not present, and if an attorney is not present on your behalf, then the judge does have the ability to issue a bench warrant for your arrest, and unfortunately most likely will do so.

It appears that somehow you've already spoken with the prosecutor and negotiated a plea agreement. That is somewhat unique as prosecutors typically are not permitted to speak with defendants without their attorneys present -- but an option you have is to contact the prosecutor in this case since they have been willing and able to speak with you previously, and see if there is any way at all they can request that your case be rescheduled due to an emergency matter.

It is definitely not conventional but it may be your only option at this point in time. Again, a request for postponement is done in advance, and must be approved by a judge.

You should try to appear in court tomorrow, or you do risk having a bench warrant issued against you.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones