I have a band and we have an unpublished album containing 5…

I have a band...

I have a band and we have an unpublished album containing 5 songs. Do I need to copyright each song individually by name, or can I copyright them all under the collective title?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

We have receipts, back up files, dated pre recordings, etc. no written documentation yet. nothing is printed yet I am designing the artwork for the album myself

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

So the other members will not be included in that copyright. Only the sound recording (which is a compilation of 5 songs) no I'm filing through legal zoom I'll contact an intellectual property lawyer I guess?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nah thats it

3/9/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your copyright law question today.

I'm attorney Bill assisting you today.

When making an application to register your music you can submit your registration under collection of works to cover the whole album which will protect individual songs.

This is an option upon registration.

In relation to music registrations the US copyright office has released the following

"

Claims to copyright in published or unpublished musical works can be registered in the Copyright Office.

Published collections of musical works and all the copyrightable elements of a unit of publication can be submitted for registration on one application with a single fee if all the compositions are owned by the same copyright claimant. For details on deposit requirements for published musical works, see Circular 50, Copyright Registration for Musical Compositions.

Unpublished collections of two or more musical works can be submitted for registration on one application with a single fee and a deposit of one complete copy or phonorecord if all the conditions specified in Circular 50 under the heading “Collections of Music” are met."

You can proceed to register your work online:

https://www.copyright.gov/registration/performing-arts/index.html

https://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return by rating my response positively I will get a credit for assisting you today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer