I had a friend pay for a trip for me in the amount of

Customer Question
I had a friend...

I had a friend pay for a trip for me in the amount of 1200.00. During the trip we had a falling out. We previously discussed me paying her 800.00. Now she wants the whole 1200.00 since she is upset and plans on suing me. We have nothing in writing. What are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No she told me today that she is planning on filing after she called me today demanding all the money. The trip took place on 02/02/18

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is everything thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would prefer to chat so that I want accrue any additional fees.

The way I see it, you have two options: either pay her what the two of you agreed ($800) or pay her the arbitrary amount she now thinks she's owed.

Actually, there's a third option: wait for her to sue you for some amount but in general, my personal opinion is it's sort of best not to get yourself sued when possible (and I'm a big believer in paying one's debts... but not being taken advantage of). The problem with her situation is that there is NOTHING in writing that she can use to prove the amount that you allegedly owe her.

That phone call request is an automatic thing from the site... no need to accept :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had no problem paying her the agreed amount by the end of the month with a tracking number to verify she received it but she is not satisfied with that. Originally she stated just pay me back when you can but due to the friendship ending I understand why she wants the money but I think she needs to be reasonable.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know if I pay the agreed amount (800) she is just going to harass me for the rest of it. I did not know if court was needed for this.
In general court would not be needed… Unless she decided to sue. Whatever amount you pay, it’s always smart to get something in writing stating that you don’t know anymore. So the person can’t come back and try to get more money from you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney