If my wife dies am I responsible for bills made out only to…

Customer Question
If my wife dies...

If my wife dies am I responsible for bills made out only to her

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just am getting from the hospital. all other bills made oudt to her waived

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I spoke to the hospital and they said if I was married to the deceased at the time of her death I as her husband am responsible. Sorry if I forgot to tell you my wife passed away right before these bills coming in

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/9/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends on state law...can you tell me, do you live in CA? If not, what state do you live in?

I live in California

Thanks

First, I am sorry for your recent loss of your spouse. My heart goes out to you.

And I am also sorry to have to bear bad news.

CA is a "community property" state. That means all debts acquired during the marriage belong to the marriage. So the hospital is correct, they can require you to pay the bills (since you were married at the time of death)

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you are not liable for this debt, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.