How binding are generic non compete agreements that an

How binding are generic...

How binding are generic non compete agreements that an employee is basically forced to sign if they want to continue working? If it says that you can’t work in the same industry for 12 months whether you leave or you are let go, how binding is that if they let you go?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am full time employee..it’s not union. Not sure what you mean at will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is at will? can a company stop you from gaining employment in a field you know if they let you go?

3/9/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good evening. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
Many mployers require employees to sign non-competition agreements as a condition of employment or continued employment, just as your employer.Forced signing of agreements are not favored in the law, and non- compete or anti-competition restrictions will be enforced by a court if they are found to protect the legitimate interests of the employer, are not unduly burdensome on the employee (i.e., are reasonable as to time, area and scope of activity), and are not injurious to the public (i.e., unduly stymies market place competition).Even if a non-compete agreement is found to be enforceable, the court may exercise its inherent equitable powers to limit the agreements application concerning its geographical area, its period of enforceability, and its scope of activity.The more generic a noncompete agreement is, the more unlikely it is to be enforced by a court.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks..so how does one continue to work if you are let go? Would you have to go to court?
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer