I received a call from C & M Associates. The number they…

I received a call...

I received a call from C & M Associates. The number they called was in Illinois. They are trying to collect on a account that I have no recollection of. Supposedly this account was opened in 2006, paid for a few years so until 2009 and went into collections, then, paid again in 2012 then stopped. I live in California and our statute of limitations is four years I think. Can they still come after me? I told them I would not pay and they said they were going to sign off on the account Are they still able to report this account to the credit bureau? Will this affect my credit score?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

From what I see on my credit report, no. I asked them to send me a letter and they kept going around it which I found odd...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just want to make sure they cant put this on my credit report because this is too far gone.

3/8/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Sounds like they can't even prove that you owe this, let alone report it or go after you for it. You can check your own credit history to see if such a debt exists, but if you don't remember ever taking out this loan, I'm sure that you're right. Additionally, the statute of limitations has expired on this debt. Even if you revived it and stopped in 2012, you're right, there is only a 4-year statute and the time has run out.

Collection agents, both fake and legitimate, buy up old debts for pennies on the dollar and then try to get people to pay what they never did or no longer owe by making threats.

This article should help you deal with them.:

www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/02/ftcs-new-hall-shame-banned-debt-collectors

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Thank you. If they do proceed to report this to my credit, should I take legal action or do you think this is all "talk"?