I have worked for a very large international company for 13…

I have worked for...

I have worked for a very large international company for 13 1/2 years with an impeccable record. Yesterday I was terminated and according to my supervisor it was for sexual-harassment. I am male, a female subordinate filed a sexual harassment claim in January for an incident she claimed happened in April of the previous year. She stated that she had come into my office and asked to leave early to go shopping I refused her request and at some point she stated that I touched her leg.
She was failing at her job responsibilities and had known since late last year that she was not meeting her metrics required for the job, no other employee was failing just her. She had been counseled several times on her performance and knew that she was about to be put on a PIP. I have all of the documentation to support this. She was given a review last week putting her on a 30 day plan of improvement. One week later I was fired for sexual-harassment for the said incident that happened in April of 2017. That’s all I was told. Do I have a case for wrongful termination?
The incident did not happen by the way, she did request to leave, I did deny her request but we were both standing and I did not touch her in any way. I have never in my entire career ever been accused of any wrongdoing of any kind and I’m in my 50’s.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only to HR in the company

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Do you have reason to believe that you were terminated because you were male? Also, what's the ratio of males to females in your workplace?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am a black male in an area of 400 people with only 2 blacks in management positions no higher than director. I feel she filed because she knew she was about to be put on a PIP but I wasn’t given any information on the investigation or what proof they claim to have.

Hi, I'm still here. I apologize sincerely ***** ***** delay.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like you would have a case of employment discrimination which is prohibited under state and federal law at 42 USC 2000e-2 which prohibit discrimination based on sex and race. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one. There are some basic processes that the EEOC files that I think you should be aware of, and I have listed them below:

The initial pre-complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.105. This is the process whereby you may bring this action to an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor within usually 300 days. The Counselors must advise individuals in writing of their rights and responsibilities, including the right to request a hearing after an investigation by the agency. The process may go through informal mediation wherein the employer and the employee try to come to a reasonable agreement. It’s voluntary and I highly recommend it in most cases.

Regardless, the EEO Counselor will issue a report based on their initial findings. Once the employee receives notice of the findings, they have 15 days to file a formal complaint.

The formal complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.106-108. Basically, the EEO will conduct a full investigation and come up with a Report of Investigation. The employee has the right to request an administrative hearing with an administrative judge after receiving the ROI or they may sue in a federal district court. Mediation is always still on the table. If the parties cannot mediate, then the parties will go through the administrative process or a federal civil proceedings and then the judge will issue a “Final Agency Decision” (for administrative hearings) or a ruling (for civil actions) If the employee doesn’t like the decision, then they can always appeal. A quick Google search will reveal your local EEO office so check that out.

I'm very sorry about this. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s it. Thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer