My dad is a resident who owes the IRS less than $5,000 he…

Hello my dad is a...
Hello my dad is a resident who owes the IRS less than $5,000 he makes $200 payments monthly. He was told he couldn't travel outside of the USA due to this, is this correct?
3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's situation.

Is he a permanent resident?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just not a citizen

Thanks for the additional information. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Based on the information you've shared, your father should be able to travel internationally.

The travel ban, as worked out between the IRS and the Department of State, restricts the travel of individuals who owe $50,000 or more in debt to the IRS.

Since your father owes only $5000 he is well below the established "substantial debt" threshold of $50,000.

Additionally the travel ban is supposed to exclude those who have worked out a repayment plan and are current on their payments.

There may be another reason that he is being asked not to travel internationally. In any event, he wants to be sure to follow the instructions given to him by the IRS and/or Department of State, so if either of those governmental entities have instructed him not to travel until the debt is paid off, then he should still follow that instruction until he's given further notice.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has thank you so much, I believe it was just a friend who mentioned it to him. He just wanted more information this helped a lot thanks again!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones