I know I'm being scam by a guy, on a dating site. Same story…

Customer Question
I know I'm being...

I know I'm being scam by a guy, on a dating site. Same story and as usual I spot it right away. So far he's still talking to me. Cause I haven't told him to politely to go f*** OFF. My question is. Can you catch him through his cell phone number which comes up Texas (###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

A reverse trace of public records shows only that this number looks like a Tomball, Texas exchange. No account holder is registered to that number.

The phone carrier is AT&T, and you'd have to subpoena them to find out who purchased the phone. But mobile phones can be used anywhere in the world, and your scammer may have had some other online boyfriend or girlfriend send him the phone from Texas.

Typically, scammers do not prey on people in their own country. They need to stay several steps ahead of law enforcement. However, you need to report the fraud to the FBI. They have a special website for internet related crime called their Internet Crime Complaint Center. It's at www.IC3.gov.

There they just collect data and share it with law enforcement authorities all over the world. You can also report him to the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov. Keeping him in touch with you may sound sensible, but typically law enforcement won't be interested in cooperating with you to run a sting operation. And if they won't, staying in touch won't really get you anywhere.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney