We have received approval for funding from a group in Qatar.

We have received approval...

We have received approval for funding from a group in Qatar. According to "the local laws" we must register withe the Economic and Finance Ministry for a business license costing us USD$4975. My question is if the investor is based in Qatar and not us do we need to have a business license in Qatar. We are weary of sending our funds for this because of widespread scams associated with foreign investments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

If you mean have we filed as a corporation? Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The investment group is using their attorney which is a Senior board member and he sent the information for us to obtain a license in Qatar

3/8/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Curiously, do they want you to wire money to them?

They have not requested money transferred to them. They sent a pdf on "Information for Foreign-domestic Joint Venture Company Business License" from the Ministry of Economy and Commerce.
Before I call are you briefed on International Investment Law in Qatar?

I thought you said they are investing in your US company, not a joint venture. Also, if you are to set up a company or get a license, you would use your own attorney in Qatar to do it, not the other attorney. That would be a conflict of interest. Further, it is not necessary to have a business license in Qatar for a US company to accept investments. I am not a Qatar attorney. If you want to speak with one, I am not sure any are on Just Answer.

The attorney referred is a senior partner in their investment firm with an office in Qatar. The investor has a website but the attorney's website is "under maintenance". This is why we are a little skeptical.
Your answer "Further, it is not necessary to have a business license in Qatar for a US company to accept investments" answers some of our concern.

Okay.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
Thank you Mr. Bosco

You are welcome. If you have any questions in the future, just let me know.