I am a grandmother of 4 children whom cps has taken from us…

Hello i am a...

Hello i am a grandmother of 4 children whom cps has taken from us due to false allagations. what are my next steps how can i get my babies back?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No haven't yet to seek one i thought that my words and actions would prove our innocence

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well someone made some false abuse reports and the courts say that the mama is not the problem but they still refuse to return them?

3/8/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been an attorney for about 20 years. I am currently working on a response to your question and will have that to you shortly.

The process for state investigation of abuse or neglect reports can be a very frustrating one. Reports of claimed abuse or neglect are anonymous, which can make it difficult to provide a thorough defense. Colorado appears to provide for appointed counsel for respondents in such actions. Assuming, since you said the grandchildren were taken from you, you or someone in your home had custody of the children and the complaints made were related to you or your home, you should be able to obtain appointed counsel from the court to represent you in defending yourself and attempting to regain custody of your grandchildren. It is rare in these cases for the case to be dismissed prior to a full investigation by Child Protective Services responsible for handling these claims. That process - and the court process that follows, if necessary - are intended to work quickly to provide stability for the children involved, but that often does not happen for one reason or another. The law does tend to favor parents over grandparents. It sounds like you have had at least one court hearing; prior to any other hearing I would highly recommend inquiring of the court what rights you have to counsel or, if the allegations are not directly against you, have the person about whom they are made request counsel. Because the stakes are so high in these matters, an attorney can provide the guidance you need to attempt to resolve the matter with CPS in a way that convinces them it is safe to return the children. That is the next step I would take. If you have already taken that step and were denied an attorney, please let me know and let me know why you were denied and I will attempt to provide you some additional guidance.

If you have further questions, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This is for informational and educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer