I am under F-1 visa now. I am going to graduate this may but…

Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is ***** ***** am under F-1 visa now. I am going to graduate this may but I am very interested to start a small business rather than get a job. Is it possible to do so? Thanks in advance!

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No, I am on F-1

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, this is my first step

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If possible what type of visa should I change to start a business?

3/8/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you and Good afternoon you too.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A little background. F-1 visas are reserved for international immigrants who wish to pursue their college education in the United States. As part of the F-1 requirements, holders are not allowed to work outside their college institution. Once they’re closer to graduation however, they can take part in the Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) program or the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program.

Immigration law prevents you as an F-1 students from getting involved in any job relating to the “operation of a company” or “engaging in business” of any type with the company; therefore, sole proprietorship is not an option while under an F-1 status.

This also means, the F-1 visa holder cannot volunteer their time or assistance in their new venture, especially if their new business is a “for-profit” company. Volunteering their services for their company can put their F-1 visa in jeopardy.

Aside from preliminary planning, the F-1 visa holder can neither run nor work as an employee for their business in any capacity. They will have to rely on other workers / partners who can legally work in the United States to get the business up and running.

There are several options that may be available for you to stay in the US after graduation, but not necessarily start your own company

OPT – Optional Practical Training: Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an immigration option for recently graduated F-1 Visa students. Basically, it is temporary employment authorization. Keep in mind that your employment must be related to your F-1 topic of study.

The OPT must be approved by your school. While you’re in F-1 status, there are two ways that you can work in off-campus jobs: OPT and CPT. (If you don’t know what these are, check out my post from last week.) OPT is the only student work authorization that allows you to start and work for your own business, and can be started after you have been in F-1 status for at least one academic year.

Every F-1 student is granted 12 months of full-time OPT per educational level. This can normally be used in full-time or part-time increments, where two months of part-time OPT = one month of full-time OPT. Students who are working for themselves, however, must work full-time. Students in STEM fields are eligible for an extension of a further 17 months, for a total of 29 months.

While on OPT, a student can found and work for his own company. The rules are fairly simple–you must have any business licenses required by your state, you must be working full-time, and the majority of work you will be doing must be related to your major field of study. If you are able to utilize the 17-month STEM extension, there is one more requirement: you must register your company for the E-Verify program.

When your OPT ends, however, you will no longer be able to work in your business unless you have found an alternative means of work authorization.

Graduates may apply to receive up to one year of OPT employment authorization. If you studied certain science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields, you may also apply for a two-year extension of your OPT for a total of three years.

Ouside of the above you can also obtain the following.

H-1B Specialty Occupations: The H-1B is a nonimmigrant visa that gives graduates temporary employment authorization in high-skilled occupations. H-1B applicants are required to have specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or higher or its equivalent. Most H-1B jobs are in industries such as science, engineering, and information technology.

E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor: The E-1 visa is a treaty trader visa. This visa is for graduates who come from countries with a treaty of commerce with the U.S.. Immigrants should have “substantial” trade in goods between the U.S. and his/her home country.

The E-2 visa is also for those who are from countries that have a treaty of commerce with the U.S.. Applicants for this visa must have invested, or are actively in the process of investing, a “substantial” amount of capital in a U.S-based company.

L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa: The L-1 is a nonimmigrant visa. It is for graduates who get jobs outside of the U.S. and are transferred to the U.S. It also allows a foreign company to move an executive or manager to the United States to establish a U.S. office.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question.

After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer