I NEED MORE INFO REGARDING GUARDIANSHIP. OHIO. I'VE JUST…

Customer Question
I NEED MORE INFO...

I NEED MORE INFO REGARDING GUARDIANSHIP.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

OHIO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

YES, I'VE JUST BEEN TOLD ADULT SERVICES HAVE FILED SOMETHING

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I HAVE HIS POWER OF ATTORNEY IN ALL ASPECTS.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/8/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

What would you like to know about guardianship? You mention you have the Power of Attorney.

EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE EXPLAINED USING THIS TOOL.

Okay. Hold, please.

There are two ways to become a guardian of an adult: application followed by court appointment or appointment by the probate court on its own.

Guardianship applications are available at the local probate court or on its website. A potential guardian must file the completed application with the probate court in the county where the ward lives. There is normally a fee associated with filing the application. The local probate court will let you know the charge.

Typically, an applicant for guardianship is an individual, such as a family member, or a professional, such as a licensed attorney or agency. If potential guardians are applying to be a guardian of the estate, they must be a resident of Ohio unless they are also nominated to serve as guardian through a power of attorney, will, or other legal documents.

Although there is no residency requirement for a potential guardian of a person, courts prefer the guardian and ward both live in Ohio because it can be difficult to work with a guardian who lives far away from the proposed ward. [R.C. 2109.21]

The application must include a list of relatives of the proposed ward, known as next of kin. This list may include the proposed ward’s spouse, children, grandchildren, and siblings. The probate court will let those individuals know an application was filed and when the hearing is scheduled. [R.C. 2111.03; 2111.04] The application process also includes an expert evaluation, which is needed for the court to determine if the proposed ward is incompetent.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see how things are going. If you need more, just let me know.