My license was suspended in California due to a DUI. I'm a…

My license was suspended...

My license was suspended in California due to a DUI. I'm a Utah resident and my license hasn't been suspended in my home state. I need to get my license replaced and on the form I submit it asks if my license has ever been suspended. Since I will have to answer yes, will I now have to file a SR-22 in Utah in order to get this replaced license?

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah my suspension was in Califronia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I got a letter from the California DMV stating that my license was suspended in that state until March 11. I know my Utah license hasn't been suspended because I got pulled over last week for a traffic infraction and the officer told me it wasn't. That being said, I have please guilty for a first-time DUI misdemeanor in the state of California.

3/8/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if your license was suspended in CA for the DUI, UT will have to honor that suspension and that means you will need to get the SR-22 since the suspension was for a DUI. UT can also issue other administrative penalties on the DUI from another state such as additional suspension and additional fines/penalties and even an ignition interlock device. So, while CA may not have yet notified UT, once UT gets the information, you will be getting a letter from them regarding additional UT penalties.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney