I have 17 son who is refusing to abide by my household

Hi. I have 17...

Hi. I have 17 son who is refusing to abide by my household rules. Including not doing homework. He is faling 3 classes in school right now and in danger of not graduating on time. Ww have been getting counseling, and help through different social ser ice organizations for the past 18 months. Nothing seems to be working. Is it possible for a parent/guardian to kick theor child out of the house before they are 18? I do not want to do tjis, obviously but I don't see another option. He is not matire enough to be an emancipatwd minor. Annette

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Real estate law? Iowa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is not 8n any legal trouble or fpayer care or anything. Just refusing to do schoolwork and failing several classes.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sure. I understand.
If you could just answwr my question for now.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, a parent cannot give up their parental rights to a child at all. A parent in your state is responsible to the child until they turn 18 when they become an adult. A child could request emancipation from parents if they are working and can prove that they are able to financially support themselves and with the court's approval, but those aren't always granted. The only other option is to find someone who is willing to be his guardian. An adult can act as a guardian and it would remove your parental rights; however, it does mean that you would have to find someone who would be wiling to take him in. In the absence of emancipation or a new guardian, you'll be responsible until he becomes an adult,then you are no longer responsible for him. I'm very sorry.

How else can I help you today?

That's what I thought the answer would be. Thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Sure. I don't have time to do it now, but I will.

Thanks so much!