I certainly hope that you have access to previous and that…

Customer Question
I certainly hope that you...
I certainly hope that you have access to previous and that I'm just including the latest development. The button seemed to indicate I'd be directed as such and I don't see our previous conversations.
The judge asked for temporary order months ago his attorney obviously crafted it. It is not our first go around of him being a slimy wordsmith. Her attorney and the judge signed off on it. Part of it was her ex-husband could demand a drug test anytime. She nearly completed requirements when he did that. He stopped visitations on his own and her attorney brought contempt charges. We went to court two days ago for this and the judge dismissed it because the wording was such that it did not matter she was taking legally prescribed medication. The judge recognized the error but did not correct it or order that the unsupervised visitation should start. Instead it continues as supervised visits which she pays for and can't afford especially since she has lost her job and insurance due to all these court and attorney matters. And immediately after that hearing my attorney dumps on us to not be hopeful of our grandparents rights suit. He talked big before taking case but now says limitations of law we would have to show harm and without doubt there is mental health harm being denied access to them.
Where the heck do we get justice?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I understand and I do have access to your other questions.

The issue is the US Supreme Court has made grandparents rights very difficult any longer, because the Court held that the right of the parent to make determinations for their child is a CIVIL RIGHT or CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT (See: Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000)), so you have to present evidence to the court the parents are UNFIT by clear and convincing evidence.

The grandparent's rights are dependent upon proof of the parents being unfit to make the decision.

As far as the supervised visitation, in order to have that removed, she has to prove in court that the circumstances leading to supervised visitations have changed for some significant amount of time since the last ruling. If she can show that change of circumstances, then she needs to appeal the court's decision.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney