I just found out my son has an active warrant for cocaine…

Customer Question
I just found out...

I just found out my son has an active warrant for cocaine sale 893.13.1a1 what exyis this & what penalty is imposed Schefule 2

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Florida the date is 5/2/2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

All I know is the officers went to his previous address last night to question him. He no longer lives at the addredd.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is all I know. 1st offense.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

This is a very serious felony charge your son is facing. Possession of less than 28 grams of cocaine with intent to sell or deliver is a second-degree felony. [Florida Statute 893.13(1)(a)] It is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. However, unlike a person convicted of possession of more than 28 grams, there is no minimum mandatory prison sentence. So, a court doesn't necessarily have to impose any jail time at all.

I can also tell you that a warrant does not ever expire. It is valid until it is addressed -that is, until your son is arrested or turns himself in. He definitely will need representation of a lawyer to fight this charge. He may have possible defenses, but until an attorney has an opportunity to speak with him and review any evidence, that won't be known.

Please let me know how I may further assist you or if I may clarify anything.