I got a call from publishers Clearing house saying we won…

I got a call...

I got a call from publishers Clearing house saying we won 3.5 million dollars, however we need to pay 2% taxes they take care of the rest of the taxes, is this a scam

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No just got the call, they gave me the address of publishers clearing house said we also won a car

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We live in Oregon they said they would be here on Tuesday the 13th of March

3/8/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, because yes, it is a scam. Legitimate sweepstakes / lotteries / etc... can take the taxes and fees out of the winnings. Scams obviously don't (because there are no winnings). So if they say that you need to pay this, tell them that you authorize them to take it out of the winnings, and see what they'll say.

Here's a report from the Federal Trade Commission that essentially says that this is a scam: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/07/fake-publishers-clearing-house-scams

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?