I am using a realtor to sell my house, the was listed this…

I am using a...

I am using a realtor to sell my house, the was listed this Monday, I got an offer yesterday and I decided I do not want to sell now she wants to charge me $3,400 and I believe tha is ilegal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I did not sign the offer

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I signed the agreement to allow her to list the house but it does not mention that I have to pay if I back out

3/8/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

The answer to your question as to whether you have to pay is no. If you did not agree to make payment in the event that you cancelled the agent's services, then you do not need to pay for the breach. Parties may agree that if the contract is terminated by a party, that terminating party pay damages to the agent. These are called "liquidated damages." However, in the absence of an agreement to liquidated damages, payment is not automatically required. The agent would have to go to court and tell a judge that the services they provided allow them damages under the law. Until then, you don't have to pay.

How else can I help you today?

Thank Your soooo, much. The papers I signed for the listing do not mention that anywhere.

The pleasure is all mine! I'd recommend that you tell the agent as much. Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer