I have a stalker problem. (NYC) He lives at a different

I have a stalker...

I have a stalker problem. (NYC) He lives at a different address but the buildings are attached on the bottom with a common hallway. Some tell me it is stalking others say you live in "the same building" It seems insane to me he can stalk/menace me with me having zero protection He has been warned by security management police he has a harassment report against him now as of two nights ago hopefully a stalking report- victims services said it was stalking but a male Lt there said the "you live in the same building" again! 3 diff addresses entrances mail areas elevators how is this the same building. What would HE do if his wife or daughter was being stalked harassed and menaced by the say the next door neighbor? Sorry hun nothing you can do? Stalking is stalking I have the stalking report "to look forward to" when the detectives get to investigating it but what if they bring up this "same building" stuff again? Sorry so long

Lawyer's Assistant: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NYC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes as mentioned above

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what I can do/say to these detectives who will contact me to move the stalking report forward to a restraining order since some people are supportive others are basically saying he can stalk me whenever he likes and I'm unable to do anything I appreciate it

I will have to step out in a bit to care for some rescue animals I take care of if I do not respond right away- I appreciate the email option too I will leave this page up too Thank you
3/8/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been an attorney for 20 years. I am also an animal rescue supporter as well. Can you describe for me a bit more what exactly this individual is doing so I can be sure to provide you the best response.

I don't have the stalking report yet I have the number and have to pick it up. There is nothing in the way of advice I can get? I have a lot of documentation on the activities of the person etc I expected to have to go through this in court I was hoping to get direction now on how to approach this with the dectectives soon who may have the prejudice of the "same building" issue
Apologies if I misunderstood that this line was a response ugh sorry I am stressed "Send the lawyer any supporting documents"

No problem. You do not need to send me any documents; it would just be helpful if you could summarize what this individual is doing to stalk you so I can provide a thorough response.

Stalking, following me around the property, harassing twice now snapped and started screaming yelling coming at me in a physically aggressive way to the point I feared for my safety the first time the second time thepolice were called and he did this violent behavior in front of witnesses including security. After that report warnings from security police management he did not stop and since that has followed me in to a grocery store and to outside the bank where I had just gone in to use the ATM. I went to management they told me to go to the police so I did. The told me they took a stalking report but one officer said its not. I have not heard from the detectives yet. I need to know how I can make sure this is handled as stalking which it is. I see this person now and I wonder if attack number three is coming. I want to make sure get a restrainign order

Thank you so much. I am working on a response now and will have it to you shortly.

I have to go out now I apologize. I will leave this page open and I appreciate the email option too.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, often the law lags behind in protecting individuals who are being harassed or stalked by neighbors or other non-family members. Orders of Protection in New York are generally only issued in family matters or criminal matters. That said, you have taken the right initial steps to protect yourself by contacting the police and ensuring that the building security is aware of the issue. I am not in a position to say whether your report to law enforcement will lead to their investigating the matter as stalking or some other criminal violation, but it does create a record on the harassing individual. The key at this point is to document everything. Keep a log of every incident with this person, report every incident to building management, and whenever you feel physically threatened notify law enforcement. Some personnel may seem irritated but it is their job to take your complaint, make a record of it and investigate it to determine next steps. Simply because the individual lives in the same or connecting building does not make this not stalking or harassing or a real threat. Instead, it simply makes it more difficult for law enforcement to determine when the individual is actually targeting you versus merely being present in an area where he has a right to be. That is why it is so important to document everything so that when you are asked you can identify clear examples of where this person crossed the line (e.g., coming at you aggressively). It is equally important to keep your landlord, building management, and security personnel apprised of the situation and to request they monitor the situation. There may not be a specific legal responsibility on their part to do so but it is certainly in their interest legally to take all reasonable steps to avoid any threats or harm to their residents.

I know this does not resolve your unfortunate situation, but I hope it is helpful. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This is for informational and educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Thank you for your help. This has been going on since August of last year. All because he came on to me and I ignored and avoided him afterward. My CC payment was by my partner Richard I am female just FYI. Not all men but some can't handle when they are rejected. He is also old and lives with his mother. Her apt has a clear view on the area I have to walk to care for an outdoor cat so he sees me and its not coincidence he appears 5-10 minutes later. I have the first violent verbal/physically menacing attack on me on record with management (Aug), the second violent verbal physical attack (Oct) was where the cops were called and he had to be held at bay by a security guard and the police came. He snapped like that in front of witnesses which make his following me other places even worse. I don't think he'd hold off some abusive thing just because people were around. When he followed me into the grocery store he was called to the main office and I was told "spoken to in front of staff". When he followed me and stood outside of citibank management told me to go to the police. In between I have wrotten down many instances of himnow just coming into an area I am or standing staring seemingly liking he is causing distress and someone probably told him the "same building" story. SO he thinks he can do what he wants. its insane I have heard cops say I basically have no protection if they think the same building BS story. Again what would they say to their wives or daughters? Nothing you can do? Sorry I am venting. I just needed some help going forward I can't believe this lunatic is free to do what he wants. THANK YOU
I will rate you a 5 but just in case you think of any other thing that may help I'll wait until you respond again then thank you again.

You are welcome to vent. It is a discouraging and frustrating situation. I might suggest an actual visit to the closest police station to discuss the issue with someone and ask to speak to a victim advocate. Simply because he lives in the same building does not give him any rights to harass you; but it does make it difficult for law enforcement to distinguish between a true threat to your safety and just a coincidence. This is where you have to - and I think you are - trust your gut as to the real threat and try to avoid him as much as possible. I wouldn't hesitate also to write a formal letter to management of the building. They may not do anything but, again, the more you document and the more times you report incidents to them and to law enforcement the harder it is to ignore. This is an area of the law where all too often law enforcement steps in too late or only when there is an escalated incident. So, you just need to take steps to protect yourself and to report to law enforcement any time you feel your safety is threatened. It might also be helpful to call the NY Supreme Court, which can issue orders of protection, and ask if there is any method to file for such an order against another tenant in your building. I could not find anything that specially allowed it, but I find that local clerks of court can often be incredibly helpful in situations like this. I hope this is helpful. Look after yourself and know you are doing what you should be doing on your end.

Attorney Wendy
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome and I hope either building management or law enforcement is able to assist you to resolve this issue soon. Best of luck!