I rent an apartment in North Providence Rhode Island my

Hi I rent an...

Hi I rent an apartment in North Providence Rhode Island my landlord is harassing me my son who is now in jail did a B and E now the landlord has told me his lawyer said that I have to be out of my home bye May 1 then he brought a police officer yesterday and took my key for my mailbox I have to grandchildren living with me I don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There is no lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The landlord is my brother and we had to change the locks on my door because he came in whenever he wanted

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you have a written lease currently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

B and E -- are you referring to a breaking and entering?

Was that at your current home or another location?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At this location

Thanks for the additional information. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you

Since you do not have a written lease, you are considered to be a month to month tenant.

This means that your landlord can initiate an eviction order without cause. For example, it does not need to be due to a failure to pay rent, vandalizing the property, etc., an eviction can simply be initiated because the landlord wishes to terminate the tenancy.

A written lease would provide you with more protection, as that's a legal binding contract to both you and your landlord. However without a written contract, the law categorizes you as a month to month tenant.

An eviction order generally provides between 30 - 60 days to move out, so it appears that this would fall into that time frame.

You should however have recieved notice of an eviction hearing and been given an opportunity to contest the eviction in court.

Judges most usually rule in favor of landlords in a situation like this, but nonetheless you should have been given notice with an opportunity to appear in court.

Your landlord cannot change the locks or take your keys if the move out date on a formal eviction order has not yet arrived.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you please call me on my home phone number which is 401 475 359 I have not received anything in writing

I did send a written response earlier, I can try re-sending it to you again, I'm not sure why it wasn't received.

I hope that helps!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones