I had a renter move out of a house i own the lease stated 2…

Hi i had a...

Hi i had a renter move out of a house i own the lease stated 2 month notice. I got a text message saying I believe we are moving out, I will send official notice 3 weeks later I sent a text to her asking if she was moving out and she said yes. My question is does "I believe" count as notice?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/8/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Most likely not. "I believe" is not a definite statement. Imagine if she decided not to move out but you had leased the property to someone else. She'd argue that "I believe" is not a definite statement that they're moving out, but rather a statement of an expected outcome. If she had said "we will be moving out" then that's definite. Especially in light of the fact that she said "I will send official notice", that means that she clearly did NOT consider the "I believe" statement to be the notice in the first place as she felt there was an action that she had to complete to actually give you notice of leaving. So In light of all that, I would say that the "I believe" is not notice because it's not definite and the context of the statement indicates that she didn't consider it to be the notice required either.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Thanks you for your assistance that was what i was hoping you would say, one more question. The tenant is threatening to take me to small claims court over this, in your opinion should I go to court based on what i told you and if so should i get a lawyer? I will make sure I rate you after you response. Thanks andy

It depends upon if you can come to a compromise or not. Going to court is always a risk, especially small claims court, because that's more of a court of "equity" (what's fair) versus what the law is. So you could get some crazy justice of the peace that always sides with the renters or something like that. Now all other things being equal, I think that you have a very strong case. But I also think that if you can come to a compromise that you're okay with, then you don't need to go to court.

As far as getting an attorney, I don't think that that would be necessary. It'd be a pretty simple argument, and small claims court is pretty informal (think more Judge Judy than Law and Order).

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~40 minutes now) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Thank you