Im trying to get out of my apartment lease and am looking…

Customer Question
Im trying to get...

Im trying to get out of my apartment lease and am looking for some help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I really dont get along with my roommate and she told me to get over it and stick out the next half a year with her. my mental health could not handle that but i am pretty sure i can break my lease without a fee i just need help going over my lease agreement

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
this means i can basically move out with no charge at any time right? Give them a notice but i shouldnt have to pay?
3/8/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 5 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry but it does not mean that. That is the fee which would be charged, if you were to move out early. In this case, it is $0 and I am not sure if that was an error by the landlord when drafting the lease but if that is what is stated in the signed lease agreement, it should control and you could argue that they are not entitled to the fee. However, if you read that clause, it would require BOTH residents to move out ( not just you) and does not release you from your obligations under the lease, that may still remain. In a situation like this, if you move out, the burden would be on your roommate to pay the entire rent and if they do not, you both could be subject to eviction. The $0 fee is for the landlord to lease the property to someone else but as you can see in the last line, does not allow for early termination, I am sorry to say.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!