Can someone assist me with a question regarding real estate?

Hi! Can someone assist...

Hi! Can someone assist me with a question regarding real estate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. The house has not gone on the market yet. I am selling it with my spouse because we are going through a divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My main question is regarding the payment to the comtractor who is doing the work on the house before it goes on the market... he wants cash for the first half.

3/8/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

What questions do you have about this,thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my house is being sold because my spouse and i are going through a divorce. A contractor is about to do work on the house and has asked for half of the payment first and the other half will be paid when escrow closes. He asked for the first half to be cash. I can come up with funds to pay him. My spouse cannot. So what i want to know is, can i ask for a document from the escrow company showing that i am paying the first half in cash?

Yes I would do so.You could pay here thru escrow and let them disburse it and keep record of it.That makes sense so when its time to close you get credit in dividing up the proceeds.You would want them to acknowledge your deposit here of cash for your files and the divorce if it comes up.Thats a good idea.

Thanks again, good luck here with all , and thanks again for 5 stars.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sounds good! So i can do that right now that i will be paying the first half to the contractor? Escrow can show in final papers that i had paid him cash for the first half.

Thats correct, you could run all the funds thru escrow and have them disburse to contractor.That way they have record of it and it passed thru them.And it would then be in their records and show up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see! Thank you!!

You are so welcome thanks for rating.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer