I have a ex girlfriend that's keeping my daughter from me…

I have a ex...

I have a ex girlfriend that's keeping my daughter from me and is moving out of state

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No...I am working on a parenting plan as we talk

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don't believe so

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

That's when you'd RUSH to the court to try to prevent the move (assuming you *want* to prevent the move).

I do...but everyone I have talked to says I cant
I am against a wall I need help
Please...I love my daughter so much, I can't lose her.

Why are they saying you can't?

And why are you against the wall?

The said she legally can take her..nothing I can do unless judge says other wise

Yes, that is EXACTLY correct - that's why I indicated that you would want to file a motion with the court... b/c either parent has the right to go out of the state UNLESS a court says otherwise.

How do I file a motion...

You go to the family court and you ask for a sample Motion for Custody/Parenting Time.

You're in washington state?

family court?
I am in Washington state and she is trying to move to new mexico

Yes, family court. Let me see if I can find some sample motions for you.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/ <-- this is where you'd go for copies of forms.

The forms for custody are here: http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=29

It would be amazing if you can help me and my daughter.
Which one do I need I have everything for the parenting plan.?

No - this doesn't have anything to do with the parents plan. You want all the forms on that second link I sent to you.

I need the entire list...? Or is there a sections I need? I am overwhelmed with all this paper work.

The parenting plan at this point doesn't matter if she won't abide by it. You need to print out and complete all the forms on that list. We can't complete them for you but I can answer questions if you have them.

Holy cow this is tough...ok so how long do I have you available to talk
How long does this motion take after I file it

You would prepare a motion, serve it on the other side and then they get a prior of time to respond. Typically it's put on the court's calendar for a month or more out from the date you file your motion.

I believe she is gonna leave with in the month

Right - and that's why if you file the motion and she moves it would be problematic for her.

no matter what she is gone...

No - once you file your motion it would be problematic for her if she moves.

I am confused....you said it could take a month or more to go thru...she is planning on movie with in a month.

What I said was that once you file, IF she moves it's a problem... so she'll have to Answer your Complaint - and if she fails to answer that's really a problem for her. So it MAY stop the move. But giving up certainly won't accomplish what you want to accomplish.

I am not giving up...I will not let her down. I am a great dad and I would give anything to have her here with me.
I am filling out paper work now and the is a section I am stumped on

You have a good attitude about it :)

She means the world to me...she is my light thru all this

If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

It's kinda cool cause my daughters name is olivia

It's a popular name ;-)

I will rate you...if I rate you now will that end conversation

Nope. I can leave the question open. 5 stars would be appreciated :-)

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Thanks for you rating! I'll leave the question open so you can follow up if you have additional questions.

When you ask additional questions... like the question about the form... please do it in this thread since I said I'd leave it open for you. I don't want you charged for something new....

Ok sorry

No need to apologize :)

I wish u were here to assist this paper work.
Hi Olivia...last night I received a text from a friend of my ex girlfriend, I didn't respond but I found out cps visited the home. Is there a way for me to find out info on the cost matter.?
Not cost...case

You'd want to contact CPS directly and identify yourself as the dad - and you might want to offer to take your child if you feel you'd want to do that...

Is there a direct number

Check out this link which will allow you to search for your local CPS office: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/ca/parent-resources/child-protective-services