A traffic accident happened on March 1, I drove a car with…

Hello, a traffic accident...

Hello, a traffic accident happened on March 1, I drove a car with an expired insurance and hit another car. It's my responsibility,I would like to pay for the damage, but that person made me pay him $ 15,000, that is a lot of more than the value of his car. He just lie to me. He asked me to give him the money this week. Otherwise, he would fill in a DOR 1140 form, let the state collect the money for him, and he saying it will affect my studies. So firstly I want to know if should I pay him this week and if I did not pay him, he would go through legal action, would this affect my studies, and then if he came to find me for another excuse and let me to pay for him, what should I do. I am a Chinese, I do not know the laws of the United States, so please help me, thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Missouri , his car is 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Ls

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

YES

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, that is on April 24, because I was driving a car with expired insurance, I need to going to appear in court. If he took legal proceedings, is this will not affect my appearance in this court.

3/8/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

If you caused the accident he can sue you for the damage to his car but it sounds like he just wants to quickly get money from you with no guarantees that he won't sue you later... I personally think it would be foolish to pay him without any guarantees that he won't sue you but that's just *my* personal opinion.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
OK, I want make a phone call to someone who can help me to solve this event, thank you very much
Phone call session started

I received your phone call request. Will call you in just a few minutes.

Thank you

Hi. Trying to call you and nobody speaking on the other end when the phone connects...

Please confirm that you input the right number

hello. I just received the phone call , but she couldn't hear me ,I can hear her, could you let her call me again?
sorry about that

that happen again, could you call ***********,that‘s my roomie’s phone

trying again.