I am selling my house and buying a new one. My house went…

I am selling my...

I am selling my house and buying a new one. My house went under contract everything signed yesterday ..after much disappointment with my agent on his performance in finding me a house I am thinking of canceling my contract with him...my friend thinks if I cancel my contract with my agent that the contract on my house will be null and void but I’m trying to explain to him that they are two totally separate contracts and I couldn’t do that without hiring an attorney am I right?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do u mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thx

3/8/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok

Thanks so muchf or your patience. So, the answer to your question is that you can cancel the contract with the agent, but there are two things you have to consider.

First, the agreement between you and the buyer is not going to be null and void. That deal can continue as normal.

Second, you will probably still have to pay your agent whatever commissions they would normally be entitled to. Most of the time, agents have put in their agreements that if you discharge them at a certain time before the closing, they're still entitled to their 3% or whatever it is. But regardless, the sale is not going to be in jeopardy because they're two separate contracts.

How else can I help you today?

Ok that’s what I thought...thx so much

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer