My sister lives in Ohio and is gravely ill. I have a full…

Customer Question
My sister lives in...

My sister lives in Ohio and is gravely ill. I have a full power of attorney for her but I have been told that it is no longer valid if she passes away. Her only belongings are an automobile which is in her name and the furniture in her apartment. Can I do anything with her auto if she passes without it being put in my name? Can I sell or dispose of her personal belongings I.e.furniture, etc. She has no will.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Ohio and I believe it is a 2006.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Such as what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

If she is ill, you might want to use the POA to put the car title in both your names as Her Name OR Your Name. Then it wouldn't have to go through probate if she passed.

.

But the POA expires if she passes, so you couldn't do it after that. As for personal property, as long as it doesn't have a title or is something only in her name like a bank account, you can still dispose of it

.

So I would quickly add yourself to the title to the vehicle and anything like bank accounts (if she has any) so as to avoid the need for probate at all if she passes.

.

.

thanks