I changed the locks on my house so my ex girlfriend can't go…

I changed the locks...

I changed the locks on my house so my ex girlfriend can't go in and out of my house whenever she pleases. She still has some possessions here such as dressers and big things she cannot fit into her car. But she has the necessities for her to live day to day. She stated to me that she has the right to have the police open my home and get her things whenever she wants. I'm not holding her possessions against her. I offered for her to keep her stuff here until she get a place of her own. I just feel more comfortable that she does not have unlimited access to my possessions. Is there legality in either case? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Missouri, no car

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No ma'ma

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Did your gf live with you? If yes, for how long? Is she on the lease?

almost two years, I'm the sole owner of the home.

Okay, in that case by locking her out you're using "self help" which is not permissible. In order to evict someone living with you you'd have to serve them with a notice to vacate and then if they don't leave you'd have to file an eviction action. Anything else is not permissible in the eyes of the law. We can't give you legal advice on what you *should* do but I want you to know the law so you can make educated decisions on how to proceed... so she doesn't sue you.

Thank you

It's my pleasure. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

She is not living at my house for about a month. Just some of her belongings are still here. So I cannot protect my own property?

Technically she already left... and if she's not living there then you can change the locks.

You're not under any obligation to just have this person come and go as they please.

I just wanted you to be aware of the whole eviction thing... how it works ... but once she moved out you're not under any obligation to just allow her to come back at her discretion.

If you know she's living somewhere else you might want to give her a deadline by which she needs to come back and get her stuff or you might want to pack her stuff for her and bring it to her (assuming it's movable).

She said she will have her possessions out by the end of the month. I just want to be there when she is getting her possessions so mine don't disappear. But she has not gave me an exact date. I just don't want to be out of my house while she and whoever is helping her there while I'm not.

It's YOUR house. You make the rules as to where you are or aren't during her pickup.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Thank you for your advice miss Kent, enjoy your evening.

Thanks for your rating!

And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.