My 16 year old granddaughter does not want to live with her…

Customer Question
My 16 year old...

My 16 year old granddaughter does not want to live with her mom. Dad is out of the picture. I’m willing to have her live with me. Mom is verbally , emotionally and mentally abusive. She is manipulative oppressive and controlling. Can My granddaughter choose where to live Thanks KGCase

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am willing to take her and feel she will be allowed to blossom

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. First, you would need to file a motion with the court and seek to get custody of her. You would need to show it is in the best interest of the child to live with you and that the mother is not fit to care for the child and present evidence to support it. Now, at 16 the child can voice their preference of where they want to live and speak with the judge or a guardian as to what the mother is doing and that she wants to live with you but the judge will always have the final say. She can state her preference but can never decide on her own

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!