I reached out to gather some information on a business I'm…

Hi Justin,I reached out to...
Hi Justin,I reached out to gather some information on a business I'm starting that utilizes fairy tales. I'm progressing and I'd like to put the fairy tale story in with the product. They will be fairy tales out of copyright, so Grimm, Perrault, etc. Is this legal to do? For instance, if I want to do Cinderella, and have the candle say Cinderella's Pumpkin Carriage, can I include an insert with the fairy tale of Cinderella? And if so, do I have to obtain an original book in say, German or French, and have it translated in order to use it? I'm sure their stories were not originally written in English. I'm creating my own fairy tales, as well, but I worry that some people will want what is familiar, and prefer a classic. I would love some advice.
Answered in 6 days by:
3/14/2018
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has
not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed
assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me
know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’d like to continue with anyone in intellectual property that can answer.
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

So there is no copyright for example on Grimm's fairy tales nor is the story of Cinderella protected. However where you have to be careful is copying how others told the story. For example with Cinderella using the names and likeness of the characters in the Disney movie could certainly get you in trouble. I know that the story of Cinderella has been around for a hundred years and you are certainly entitled to tell your own version of it. I recall that Disney used a pumpkin for its carriage in the movie. This may have been copyrighted.

It would probably be best if you had the closest thing to the original that way you can determine what is available to you and what is not if the original story of Cinderella for example used a pumpkin carriage then you can too.

Did you have any other questions? If not please don't forget to rate me. 5 stars is appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I get a copy of say Perrault’s Cinderella, (whatever it is titled), in a book that lists his collections but has been translated into English in say 1990, can I use that and print it for the candle, or, would I have to find his original work in French and then get it translated in order to legally print that fairy tale and include in the box. I know to steer clear of any Disney changes or additions, but there are collections out there with translations of original fairy tales. My concern is that it would be a copyright infringement on their book if I used it. There are also English fairy tales on the Internet, but again, seems like it might get me in trouble.
Phone call session started
Andrew
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer